Monday, January 25, 2010

Rice Cereal

About a week ago we were having some eating issues with Lincoln. He just always seemed hungry and for some reason I wasn't really providing enough milk for him! He actually lost about a half pound, and even though he is a big guy, it concerned me. One afternoon he was really really fussy and so I tried feeding him some rice cereal to see if it would help. Here are some pictures and videos from that day.

Before we started eating...

His first rice cereal (mostly breastmilk with just a little bit of rice)
Love this picture!! "Mom, what is this stuff???"

"Mmmm that is pretty tasty!"
Anyways....as you can see from the videos below...he ended up getting more on himself than in his mouth. I started taking something called Fenugreek (seed) and it has really helped with my milk production, so he is getting full and gaining weight again! I actually am going to wait until Lincoln is 6 months old before I continue to give him cereal. As I was doing research online, I found that the WHO and American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) both recommend exclusively nursing until 6 months if you are able (this helps that baby's immune system and lessens a chance of developing allergies). And actually, nursing is much easier then a baby who spits out all his food anyways!
This next picture is funny. Sheridan was changing Lincoln's diaper and all of the sudden I heard him yell for me, "Natalie come here quick!". Sheridan had turned away for a second, and all of the sudden he turned back around and realized Lincoln had peed without his diaper on and it got all over his face and the wall!! It was sad but also so funny! The camera just happened to be sitting on the changing table so we snapped a picture real quick. You can kind of see the wet spots on his face.

Just a cute picture of Lincoln laughing the other day :)

Videos of Lincoln trying to eat rice cereal

1 comment:

  1. Interesting that you mention your feeding preferences for Lincoln...with my oldest and youngest,I breastfed til 6 months and waited til 6 months for cereal and simple homemade babyfood, they are the healthiest/non allergic/stocky kids I have....I did what "they" ("they" being Dr's, friends,professionals,etc..) told me to do with my 2 middle kids and they are the sickest/allergic to everything/unhealthy/bone skinny kids I've ever seen. Basically, listen to your mom gut instinct, you are on the right track Nat :-) there was never any doubt :-) G.N.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...